Thursday, October 1, 2009
Blessed...
As a young child, my dad would tell me stories of his homeland-- a far off exotic place that existed in my imagination as a paradise on Earth. My dad would tell us stories of his life on the plantation, studying by latern and riding the horse through the village. Then came the day when, at age 12, our family went to Samoa, and what existed in my imagination became a reality... and it was more beautiful then I imagined.
The water was clear, the beaches were ideal and it was a paradise for a kid. And it still is...
But what makes Samoa so special is not just the physical beauty but also that, to my sibilings and I, it represents a home away from home and a connection to our much loved and missed Dad. (This is my dad's brother, my Uncle Sale).
A paradise for the body, mind and spirit...
So as I sit writing this blog I am so very blessed to know that in the aftermath of the recent earthquake and tsunami that my family in Samoa survived and are safe and sound. My heart goes out to all those who lost loved ones, some of which I am sure we will find in the future to be distant relatives of some sort (it is a small island after all!)-- but I am so very grateful that our family members are alive and well and that paradise, though battered and bruised, is still a reality for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Like I told LaAna.... you guys were the first people that I thought of when I heard the news. It is so sad, but I am so glad to hear that your family is okay... Your dad is watching over them for sure;-)
Oh Sia you had to make me cry, I am so glad to know that your family is ok. I miss Uncle Tenny so much, and I see so much of him in that picture of Sale. I love you guys!
Thank you both for your thoughts.
And Jilly, I tried to see your blog but couldn't!
I'm so glad your family is all safe and sound. That must have been a scary day waiting to hear how everyone was.
The program I use for my scrapbook pages is Scrapbook Factory Deluxe. It's really easy to use and fun. I can even let you know how to save your pages as a jpg so you can upload them to photobook sites like Shutterfly to make books. Let me know if you need help! Oh, Erin is planning the next girls night for this month....I'll let you know the details but YOU NEED TO COME!
Sia, I am glad to know your family made it through the disaster. You know that Steve and I miss your dad too. Teni will always be a special friend that we will hug again. I love to read Ana and your blog, it makes me still feel close to two girls I love.
Post a Comment